Friday, June 6, 2008

~Random Thoughts on SL~

I have been in SL for an estimated 9 months, though I stopped for a while in between.

You would definitely agree with me if I said it's such an irony how I got into this game.

I was reading an issue of the Catholic newsletter last year when I chanced upon an article which warned its readers the possible detriments of online gaming. I must say it's been a roller coaster ride . I have met people who just asked for Lindens or favours from you and then vanished, friends who turn out to be just acquaintances (just add you and that's about it) and friends who are genuine and share common interests. Also, I have had a few friends who have left an imprint when they left. I know what some of you might be thinking about - why subject yourself to drama when in fact, SL is supposed to be a haven? I wish I have the answer to that question.

I guess SL is very much like RL; after all, we are all dealing with real people behind each machine. What differentiates SL from RL is that it takes more effort to determine if you are meeting an angel or a devil since in the virtual world, one can easily disguise him(her)self behind gorgeous or cute looking avatars or characters.

Well, having said much, I have learnt that in my both lives, I try to live by the Ethic of Reciprocity: treat others as you would like to be treated. I'm NOT a saint and hence, sometimes, I find myself bending this rule a little. BUT I TRY and so far, I'm quite happy with my progress.

So, be nice to everyone!

No comments: